Sunday, March 4, 2007

But I digress..

Random thoughts that have been wandering around in my brain lately: Why can't they (they being the powers that be) keep the American shows here in English or at least have the option to switch the program to VO like they do with many of the movie channels? Now of course the obvious answer to this would be "duh you're in France, hello!!!" Of course I know it needs to be in french but really they could give one the option couldn't they? Case in point....I'm watching the E! channel here the other night during one of our long bouts of stomach flu and they're replaying the Oscars. I'm listening to the french broadcasters translate their American counterparts while at the same time I'm able to hear just enough of the English. Result? My brain is so confused, I don't understand anything! It's like there's a battle going on inside my brain: "listen to the English, non listen to the french!, no no, listen to the English!" I finally give up and don't really hear anything and just look at the stars and gowns etc. It's just I'd really like to hear the stars speak in their native language! I know on the E! channel sometimes there are some shows that are only in English, I think "Fashion Police" is one. I don't really watch it too much so I can't say for sure. Just seems to me as a matter of principle, when it comes to the Oscars, one should be able to watch it in English.

I've come to believe the cartoons are in fact educational! Really! OK for language purposes only. We have the Carton Network and the kids love watching Looney Tunes. They're usually (unlike the Oscars!) in English so my kids can hear English on TV and learn some common expressions that they otherwise might not hear. And it's more than "What's up Doc?"
There's also Scooby Doo which my son really likes. I often wonder if french kids here would sit through a cartoon without understanding what's going on since it's in a foreign language? Scooby Doo especially since there is so much talking.
I don't think my kids would do it if they didn't understand. I'm also happy to watch them once in awhile. They're timeless classics!

We were watching a soccer game last night between Lyon and St. Etienne. As is fairly common here during soccer games the fans can become quite rowdy and really can add a whole other dimension to what should just be just a fun time. Well last night's game was no exception. Fans (or a fan) starting lobbing tear gas at the opposing team's fan area. It was thrown over to one area, where it was lobbed back. The wind took the gas out into the field where the players immediately started running off, covering the faces with their jerseys. There was at least a 15 minute delay in the game. It was amazing to watch. I was stunned! I kept saying "tear gas? WTH? Tear gas?!? Who are the lunatics who think it would be fun to throw tear gas around at a soccer game? First of all how are they able to get into the stadium with this stuff? Then I couldn't believe they wouldn't suspend the game right there and then and have the home team take a loss. Granted it's not the players' fault but that's probably the only thing that might make a difference. I guess an investigation is underway and they've found at least one person who was involved. Big deal. Maybe some fines for the home team? What difference will that make? I really have no desire to go see a match anytime soon. On a normal day, it's usually just bond fires roaring in the designated fan area. No one even takes notice although it's not authorized. Is there anyone watching the game while all of this is going on? Unbelievable!

Mount Vesuvius update....we're currently at 3 out of 5 (and I'm not talking about dentists who recommend....) no 3 who have been hit by the dreaded stomach flu here. Colleen and I are the last to remain standing. But for how long? Who is next? It's not a question of if but when.
Its been a long, sleepless 5 days here....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Marge,

Sorry to hear about your sick household...knock on wood, maybe you and Colleen won't get it.

That sounds like one wild soccer match. That's pretty extreme. What's going thru someone's mind when they're sticking tear gas in their coat pocket while they're getting ready to leave for a game???? Ok, got my driver's license, my money, breath mints, and my tear gas, just in case.

Have a great day!

Lynn

Jennifer said...

I totally agree with you about the TV show thing!

Linda said...

I really miss American TV. I will watch American TV shows that are many years old just because it is easy and I get everything. I only like one or two French shows and they talk so quickly I can't understand them.