Saturday, May 12, 2007

Pets

I knew it would happen eventually, it was just a matter of time......I want a dog! The kids are now getting a little older, we're finished with diapers, nap time, bottles....the list goes on and on.
The time has come when I could focus on something else. This would be why I've gone back to work, but there's something missing. I grew up with a dog, and I really want my children to have the same experience. Funny thing is they're not asking for one, I'm the one thinking about it. I find myself looking intently at every dog as I drive around town wondering if that would make the ideal family pet at our house. It's a huge decision and one I'm not going to rush into. For starters, I have to convince my husband! He loves dogs but whenever we talk about the possibility, he mentions all the negatives, and I'm there highlighting all the positive points.
I came across this quiz to determine one's ideal pet:



Your Ideal Pet is a Big Dog



You're both energetic, affectionate, and a bit goofy.

And neither of you seem to mind very slobbery kisses!



And no surprises, just as I expected, my ideal pet is a large dog. These are my favorites no doubt, be it a collie (my childhood pet) German shepard, golden retriever....
But I'm leaning towards a small to medium size dog, since space here in the house is limited.
As both my son and I are allergic to cats, they're out of the question, although a cat would make Laura very happy. No, I'm more of a dog person and as it states in the description, maybe just a little bit goofy for even thinking of a pet!
I'm secretly hoping we'll hear or read of a litter of pups that are up for adoption somewhere around here. There are several farms not too far away, they always have dogs right? I need it to be a "we can't pass this up" type of opportunity.

In the meantime I'll keep researching breeds online to see what would best suit our family. I'm also more inclined to get a mutt since purebreds can have so many health problems.
Well time will tell, for now it's just running around in my brain.
And it'll probably remain like that for quite awhile.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

A dog, what a cool idea. We've thought about it too, but I'm not sure when we'll actually get one!

deedee said...

Me too, I would like to get a dog, but so far, I haven't convinced my husband.

Linda said...

I would love to get a dog but I live on the 4th floor of an apartment with no elevator in Paris and I just can't face that trip up and down for a dog. It's bad enough with groceries.

Anonymous said...

I love big dogs, home here we have always had German sheapards, we have the sweetest one called Darcy (After Pride and Prejudice's Mr Darcy). I like the idea of owning a lab named Francoise! Sadly though we'll probably be living in an apartment in 08 or 09 so it looks like no dog for me..I'll just have to fuss over people's dogs in the streets!