Saturday, April 21, 2007

Take me out to the ball game...

It's springtime and back home in Chicago that means one thing: Baseball! Unfortunately a baseball game on TV (or anywhere else for that matter!) was hard to come by here in France. Yes, I say was hard to come by because now that we have the channel NASN in France, American sports can be enjoyed every day and often live. Recently I was particularly excited to see NASN would be broadcasting the Cubs playing in Wrigley Field. It had been a long time since I'd seen a Cubs game and although some of you might be thinking that's actually a good thing, being a Cubs fan means even though they may be a lousy team, you still want to see them play, sad but true.
Well this little sporting event on TV here in my corner of the world was not meant to be. The game was snowed out! Not rained out, snowed out. Yes, only in Chicago mid April can a ball game get snowed out. I really thought my husband was joking when he said the game was cancelled. I was so looking forward to it. Oh well, I'll have to get my Chicago fix watching the Sox play which is coming up in a couple of days.
Growing up, the change of seasons was connected as much to sports as it was to the weather. Fall meant the start of football, college games on Saturdays, Sundays watching the Bears. Winter we had hockey and basketball and knowing the Cubs had started spring training meant warm weather was just around the corner (usually!). Summer was spent playing baseball outside on the street while trying to avoid hitting the parked cars. Each sport had its season and now having this sports channel here, I'm able to share the Amercan sports with my kids. Besides soccer and rugby with the occasional European b-ball or handball game, there's not much sports over here. American bball is pretty popular but baseball was no where to be seen until the final games of the World Series. Now, we've been able to watch the US football season, pro and college basketball complete with March Madness, and now the start of the baseball season. We've also watched a few hockey games. My kids really like watching sports and they're getting to know all these new ones. When we go to Chicago this summer, they'll actually understand what's going on in the baseball game. Gotta love that! Goooo Cubs!
Now I just need to teach them the words to the song.....

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I used to love baseball in high school, but reading your post made me really nostalgic for it again. Sigh. Maybe I'll have to get into it again, just from afar!

Emily said...

Can't tell you how jealous I am that you're off to Chicago this summer. I lived in Wrigleyville for 4 fabulous years. Have a Chicago dog for me. And some Lou Malnati's deep dish buttered crust pizza. And some Garrett's popcorn: cheese & caramel mix, of course. :)

Linda said...

I really miss American sports here in France. We recently got the same channel and I loved watching the finals of the college basketball teams. And football too. The commercial time drives me nuts with the repetition of that theme song until the American commericials are finished but it is fun to reconnect in a small way.